2021 Municipal Election

The next municipal election is Monday, October 18, 2021.

The next municipal general election will be held on October 18, 2021. In Clearwater County, each of the seven electoral divisions elects one Councillor. The term of office is for four years with no limit on the number of times a Councillor can be re-elected. After the general election, the seven Councillors elect from among themselves a Reeve and a Deputy Reeve at an Organizational Meeting held each year in October.

Nominations for Councillors are being accepted by the Returning Officer from Monday, January 4, 2021, until 12:00 noon on Monday, September 20, 2021. Prospective candidates filing their nominations must schedule an appointment with the Returning Officer, Sabrina Walter at the Clearwater County office at 4340-47th Avenue, Rocky Mountain House during regular business hours. Due to the current COVID restrictions, candidates will need to book an appointment by calling 403-845-4444.

School board trustee nominations for the Wild Rose School Division, Wolf Creek School Division and Red Deer Catholic Schools will also be accepted from Monday, January 4, 2021, until 12:00 noon on Monday, September 20, 2021 at the School Division Office. Please contact individual school divisions for your nomination package.

Join Our Election Team: Clearwater County is looking for Contract Municipal Election Workers for the upcoming Municipal Election on Monday, October 18, 2021. 

To apply, please submit a completed application via email to returningofficer@clearwatercounty.ca or call 403 845 4444 for more information.

New for 2021, the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) prescribes nomination period begins January 1 (Monday, January 4, 2021) until 12:00 noon on Monday, September 20, 2021.

The official list of Clearwater County candidates who have filed their nomination papers to run in the 2021 Municipal Election will be posted on the County's website as they are received.

Candidate digital packages can be downloaded here or you may request a hardcopy by contacting the Returning Officer Sabrina Walter at swalter@clearwatercounty.ca, or 403-845-4444.

Nominations Received

Election Day - Monday, October 18, 2021


Upon receipt of nomination papers, names of candidates with be posted here.

Laird, Cammie2Clearwater County
Northcott, Jordan
4Clearwater County
Frank, NickClearwater County

Don't know what ward/division you live in? New this year, you can find your division on your 2021 Assessment & Tax notice. You may vote at either polling station within your Division, but it is ideal that you do vote at the recommended polling station. Please note that upcoming tax notices (delivered via mail) will include information indicating your Division.

In the meantime, here are Clearwater County Division Maps:

If you would like a large scale Division Map of the County or have any questions as to what Division you live in please email swalter@clearwatercounty.ca  or call 403-845-4444.

You are eligible to run as a candidate if you meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • At least 18 years of age on Nomination Day
  • Canadian citizen
  • Resident of the local jurisdiction for the six consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day
  • In a municipality with a ward system, you must be a resident of the ward or the electoral division in which you intend to run for the six consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day.

The Clearwater County has approved staff to prepare a permanent electors register of residents in the County who are entitled to vote in the upcoming 2021 election. This is a new directive as the County strives for accountability and transparency for its voters.

Personal information contained in the list of electors is protected by Elections Alberta in accordance with the spirit of Alberta’s privacy protection legislation. Therefore, internal access to the register of electors is provided only to Elections staff who have a need to use the register and have sworn oaths of confidentiality. Public access to the list of electors during elections serves an important democratic purpose. However, in an effort to balance this purpose with the equally important principle of privacy protection, access to the list of electors is becoming more tightly controlled and are no longer publicly posted during elections.

Information Collected

The following information is collected during the registration process:

  • Name – First, Middle and Last
  • Address – Residential Address and Mailing Address(if applicable) 
  • Citizenship
  • Birth Date
  • Gender (OPTIONAL) 
  • Telephone number (OPTIONAL) 

Use and Protection of Information

Data from the register of electors is used to produce the list of electors for each electoral division. The list of electors contains only a portion of the information stored in the Register:

  • Name – first, middle and last
  • Address – residential address and mailing address (if applicable)
  • Telephone number (if provided) 

The list of electors is used by election officers at the polls. Electors that are on the list at their current address do not need to provide identification to vote. Access to list information is also available to:

  • Registered political parties
  • Candidates
  • Members of the Legislative Assembly, and
  • Electors who wish to see their information

Elections Alberta commits to protecting the privacy of registered electors. Any information we maintain is for electoral purposes only.

The law further limits how we distribute or use your information. Any information we share is subject to physical and electronic safeguards. We trace persons who attempt to misuse such information. Any misuse of information may result in fines up to $100,000, imprisonment for up to one year, or both. For more information check out Guidelines on Access to and Disclosure of Alberta's List of Electors.

You are eligible to vote if you meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • At least 18 years of age
  • Canadian citizen
  • Resident of Clearwater County
  • Provided the required proof of eligibility as required by Section 53 of the Local Authorities Election Act.


In order to vote in the upcoming municipal elections, voters will be required to provide proof of their name and home address. The following types of verification meet the standard provincial requirement for one piece of identification:

  • Bank or credit card statement or personal cheque
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Income or property tax assessment notice
  • Insurance policy or coverage card
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • Pension plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement
  • Statement of government benefits (for example, employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit)
  • Utility bill (for example, telephone, public utilities commission, television, hydro, gas or water)
  • Vehicle ownership, registration, or insurance certificate
  • Identification issued by a Canadian government (federal, provincial or local, or an agency of that government) that contains a photograph of the elector and their name and current address
  • Proof of Identity and Residence for Tenants issued by a property management company
  • Proof of Identity and Residence for Incarcerated Elector issued by the authorized representative of a correctional institution
  • Proof of Identity and Residence issued by a First Nations band or reserve
  • Proof of Identity and Residence for Post-Secondary Student Elector in Residence issued by a post-secondary institution
  • Proof of Identity and Residence for Homeless Elector issued by a facility that provides services to the homeless
  • Proof of Identity and Residence for Elector in Long Term Care or Supportive Living Facility issued by supportive living facility or treatment centre
  • Supportive Living Facility issued by a supportive living facility or treatment centre

If a voter’s identification shows a post office box number as the address instead of a residential or legal address, it can be accepted as verification of current address if it is in reasonable distance to the voting jurisdiction.

An elected authority could, by bylaw, require additional verification or a combination of verification to establish the person’s specific current address.

See the Voter identification requirements for more information. 

Voting locations for the General Election Day (Monday, October 18, 2021) will be posted following close of nominations on September 20. 

Clearwater County will hold an Advance Vote on Monday, October 4, 2021 at two locations:

Voting Station No. 1                  Rocky Mountain House, AB

Voting Station No. 2                  Caroline, AB

What if I’m unable to vote on Monday, October 18th?

The Provincial Government has determined the date for general municipal elections in Alberta is the third Monday in October, as set out in the Local Authorities Election Act.  Clearwater County recognizes, however, that there are voters in the County who may be unable to make it to voting stations on that day to cast their ballot. To ensure all those who want to take part in the democratic process are able to do so, Clearwater County will be providing an advance vote day on Monday, October 4, 2021.

Advance voting prior to Election Day will be on Monday, October 4th will be available at two locations:

Voting Station No. 1                  Rocky Mountain House, AB

Voting Station No. 2                  Caroline, AB

from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Advance voting is open to all eligible voters in Clearwater County.

Eligible voters are able to attend an advance voting station and cast votes for Councillors and school board trustee, no matter what division they live in. This is different than Election Day, where voters must attend a designated voting station in their division.

Requirements for eligibility and identification remain the same for advance votes as on Election Day. Voters will also still be required to sign the voter registry, stating they are eligible and entitled to vote in the Clearwater County General Election.

If voters are physically unable, going to be absent from the jurisdiction, candidate, official agent or scrutineer who may be located on Election Day at a voting station other than that for the elector’s place of residence, advance voting and Election Day, Clearwater County is providing the opportunity to vote by special ballot.

At its November 10th Regular meeting, Council passed a bylaw allowing the Returning Officer to provide special ballots which may be requested:

  • in writing, 
  • by telephone
  • in person, or 
  • by email

The Returning Officer then provides each approved voter with a special mail ballot package. It is the voter’s responsibility to follow the included instructions and return the package to the Returning Officer. Special ballot packages received by the Returning Officer remain sealed until the close of voting and then are opened and counted.

Applications for special ballots will be accepted during the County’s regular business hours between August 1st in the year of an election and 5:00 p.m. on Election Day. 

For any questions regarding advance votes, or to sign up for a special mail ballot package, please contact Returning Officer Sabrina Walter at swalter@clearwatercounty.ca, or 403-845-4444.

The use of election signs during a campaign are permitted. Here are the rules and guidelines that need to be followed:


Election Day - Monday, October 18, 2021

Results from the October 18, 2021, election will be posted on this page as they become available following the close of voting stations at 8 p.m.

The information within this section provides a brief introduction of the requirements for running for office in Clearwater County. Candidates are responsible for understanding all legislation concerning elections, including nomination, eligibility, campaigning restrictions, campaign finance and disclosure, election offences and prohibitions at voting stations.

More information can be found here:


The following are a list of commonly asked questions about Municipal Elections and the references made to the Local Authorities Election Act.

Do I have to wait to start campaigning until I file my nomination papers?

No, prospective candidates can begin campaigning as soon as they’d like. 

However, s 147.2 of Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) outlines that a candidate may not accept campaign contributions, including the funds of the candidate, until the candidate is registered under the Act with the municipality that the candidate intends to run. Potential candidates are encouraged to contact the Returning Officer and obtain the a “Candidate Package” should they wish to raise funds to campaign.

Can a candidate put up campaign signage prior to Nomination Day?

The LAEA does not specify when a candidate can begin to put up campaign signage. However, some municipalities may have bylaws restricting when and where campaign signage may be placed.  In Clearwater County, signage restrictions for County road allowances are noted in the Land Use Bylaw, as indicated in the “Candidate Package” and for provincial highways, visit Alberta Transportation’s website here

Is a volunteer paid-on-call firefighter eligible to run for municipal office in Clearwater County?  

Yes, as long as they meet the provisions of the LAEA for eligibility, under “Qualification of Candidates” s. 21. 

What if nominations are not received for a particular position?

If the required number of nominations are not received for the number of positions available on Nomination Day, the Returning Officer will continue to receive nominations the following day, at the local jurisdiction, between 10 a.m. and 12noon. Nominations will continue to be received at the same place between the same times until the required number of nominations has been received or a period of six working days, including Nomination Day (s. 31 LAEA).

Can I use a County logo on my campaign materials?

No, the use of Clearwater County’s official logo or phone number on any campaign materials, including signs or brochures, is prohibited.

Are you allowed to campaign inside, outside or near a voting station on Election Day?

No, as per s. 150 LAEA, interfering with an elector, displaying materials or distributing information, communicating who a voter is or has voted for or directly or indirectly inducing an elector is an offence subject to fines or imprisonment per s. 150(9).    

Can I put up campaign signs near a voting station?

No, as per s. 152 LAEA, and is an offence subject to fines.    

Do I have to submit my Nomination Papers in person, or can I have my official agent submit on behalf of me? 

You may want to file the form in person; however, anyone can file it on your behalf as long as it is fully completed (signed by a Commissioner of Oath). It is your responsibility to ensure that the nomination form filed meets the requirements under s. 27 of the LAEA.

How many signatures are required on my nomination papers?

The required signatures cannot be less than five (5) and cannot exceed 100, per s. 27 LAEA

Do I have to report on contributions and expenses?

Yes, candidates are required to submit a campaign contribution and disclosure statement by March 1, following the election, to the Returning Officer or municipality. This disclosure statement must include name and address of those contributors whose donation exceeded $100 in the aggregate, and the total amount of contributions received that did not exceed $100 in the aggregate. 

A candidate whose campaign is entirely self-funded is not required to file a campaign contribution and disclosure statement s. 147.4 LAEA

What is the minimum time to request a leave of absence (from employer, Clearwater County)?

September 17, 2021 is the deadline to submit a leave of absence.

If I’m a contract worker for Clearwater County, am I still required to resign or step down?

No, if the signed working contract states that “the Contractor will be responsible for the payment of all Income tax, Canada Pension, Employment Insurance, and all other required payments, contributions and deductions. Clearwater County will provide coverage under the Workers Compensation Act that arise or may hereafter arise with regard to the services performed by the Contractor under this agreement”.

As a Councillor, when do my Canada Life benefits coverage end (if I am not re-elected)? Also, if I am a new Councillor when does my coverage begin?

If you are not re-elected, your benefits coverage ends on Election Day (October 18, 2021). If you are a new Councillor, your benefits coverage begins on the day you are sworn into office during the Organizational Meeting (October 26, 2021).

What if I do not collect campaign contributions?

A candidate may spend up to $10,000 of their own funds during any campaign period, per s.147.2 LAEA. If a candidate has entirely self-funded, they are not required to open a bank account or file a campaign contribution and disclosure statement.

Do I have to pay a deposit when I file my nomination papers?

No, Clearwater County does not have a bylaw requiring a nomination deposit. Municipalities may pass a bylaw, at least 30 days prior to nomination day, requiring a deposit, per s. 29 LAEA

Are current Councillors allowed to use County issued equipment (i.e. cell phones, computers) for the purpose of campaigning during the municipal election?

Yes, nothing in the LAEA prohibits a Councillor from using their municipal equipment for their duration as Councillor. 

Can incumbent Councillors participate in community events/functions prior to Election Day?

Yes. A Councillor’s term and official role ceases following the municipal election, once new Councillors are sworn at the Organizational Meeting. Elected officials are authorized by Council and generally receive remuneration for the time and energy they devote to their community. As private citizens, Councillors may attend any community event on their personal time.

What do I do if someone votes, who isn’t eligible to vote, or is not eligible to vote in that division?

An official agent, scrutineer, returning officer or candidate can indicate their objection to the presiding returning officer (polling attendant), and a note can be made on the voting register, at the time a voter is making the prescribed statement. Please note that as per s. 150, no person shall interfere with an elector.

Every elector is required to sign a Voting Register (Form 13).  Election staff record the objection to the voter on the statement and file it appropriately. The voter is still permitted to cast a ballot once the objection has been recorded. Upon successful application to the courts, a person who votes knowing that they have no right to do so may be fined up to $10,000 or may be imprisoned for not more than 6 months, or both, per s. 54 LAEA

I’m going to be out of town on Election Day. Can I vote in advance?

Local authorities may choose to pass a resolution allowing for advance vote or special ballot opportunities, as per s. 73 & 77.2 LAEA. Clearwater County Council authorized an Advanced Vote on October 4, 2021 from 10 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., as well that an incapacitated voter may register with the Returning Officer to have special ballot or mail in ballot requested.

Who is eligible to observe the election process?

Only one of the following can be present in the voting station:

  • Candidate; or
  • Official Agent; or
  • Scrutineer. 

A candidate, their official agent, or one of their scrutineers may not be present at the same voting station during voting hours.

Who has the ability to ask for a recount?

The Returning Officer may undertake a recount if a candidate, official agent, or scrutineer show grounds that the count of votes is inaccurate. The Returning Officer may also consider the number of rejected ballots, valid ballots objected to, or any administrative or technical errors. If a recount is requested, a recount application must be made by 4:00 p.m. on the Wednesday following Election Day, per s. 98 LAEA

Who can challenge the validity of an election?

If the validity of an election, of a member of an elected authority, or the member’s right to hold the seat, is contested, or the validity of a vote on a bylaw or question is contested, the issue may be raised before the Court of Queen’s Bench, per s. 126 LAEA. The issue may be raised by:

  • A candidate;
  • The elected authority;
  • Any elector, if the right to sit is by acclamation or contested on the ground that a member of the elected authority is ineligible, disqualified, or has forfeited the member’s seat since the election; or
  • An elector who gave or tendered their vote at the election.