- developing an Open-Access Network of broadband infrastructure to provide Internet accessibility to majority of County residents and businesses;
- developing a phased project plan, to construct and implement the OAN and broadband infrastructure;
- endeavouring to contract a Network Service Provider to operate OAN; and
- not providing end-user internet services, rather investing in OAN in an effort to encourage competition from ISPs.
- Regional Broadband Preparedness Study - Municipal & Regional Opportunities & Options in the CAEP Region
- DRAFT Broadband Development Project Summary - May 22, 2019
Clearwater County’s broadband business plan is also currently under development and is expected to be before Council sometime in the New Year. In order to be prepared for federal and provincial grant applications, Council also recently directed Administration to proceed with preliminary engineering for a 2020 project, once broadband priority options are selected. In the New Year, Council will be reviewing additional pieces of information and broadband options and from there develop a broadband implementation plan.
Council also eagerly awaits the Province of Alberta’s release of their Provincial Broadband Strategy and related Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) grant funding, and any other broadband-related grants that may follow.
At this point, Clearwater County Council’s vision remains constant in terms of the desire to improve broadband capabilities in the region. The broadband business and implementation plans are still very much in the conceptual stage. Council believes strongly in transparency and intends to engage further with stakeholders and the public again in 2020.