Clearwater County

Skip To Content

Search The Website

Search The Website

County Services Planning & Development

Planning & Development

Text Sizer and Google Translate

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A  |  

COVID-19 Update

As part of the protocols Clearwater County has implemented regarding COVID-19, the Planning and Development Department is making some changes regarding Subdivision, Development and Land Use Amendment applications until further notice.
At this time, applications that would require staff to take the submission to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) or would require a public hearing in Council for a decision will not be accepted without an "extension of time agreement” being signed at the time of application. If your application can be approved by staff or the Chairman of the MPC, we can accept and process it as we would normally.
Please check and confirm with staff prior to submitting your application for clarification. You can contact any staff member either by phone or email. You are welcome to mail in your application, drop it in the drop box at the main County building or email the application and supplemental information.
For payment we ask that you either send a cheque with your application or we do have the option available to accept an e-transfer. You will need to speak to a Planning and Development staff member to use this service. Applications that have already been submitted are being reviewed on a case by case basis.  Please contact a Planning staff member to discuss timelines for the issuance of a decision.
If you have an existing subdivision conditional approval you are welcome to submit documents and payments as mentioned above.  If you are unable to complete the subdivision requirements and are nearing the expiry date, we may be willing to grant a 6-month time extension on your approval at no additional charge.
Thank you for your understanding.
Planning & Development Staff


Department Information 

Planning and Development staff are knowledgeable in matters including permits, zoning, property lines, future development plans for specific areas, access to properties and various bylaws regarding land usage. These services include the preparation and implementation of statutory plans and the review and processing of development related applications, proposed subdivision applications and applications to rezone land. The Planning and Development Department provides advice to County Council, the Subdivision Authority and the Municipal Planning Commission.

Development is guided by County statutory documents, the Land Use Bylaw, and policy. The Planning and Development Department documents, forms and applications are available for download under Document/Downloads.

The planning process in the Province of Alberta is governed by the Municipal Government Act and the associated Subdivision and Development Regulations.
In 2014, the New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA) came into effect as part of the Government of Alberta’s ongoing commitment to improving consumer protection, recourse options and builder accountability for new homes built in Alberta. Visit the Municipal Affairs website for more information on new home warranties.

For information on Private Sewage codes and regulations, or to file a complaint regarding Private Sewage practices, visit

For environmental concerns, complaints or emergencies, visit Alberta Environment Complaints/Emergencies or call 24 hour toll-free number 1-800-222-6514. 

Contact Us

Our planning staff is knowledgeable with respect to municipal land use planning issues and can help you with any proposals you may have. Whether you wish to subdivide your property, build a new house, shop or other structure, or you wish to start a business in Clearwater County, they can advise you of whether such development conforms to planning legislation or what steps are required to present a proposal for consideration before the Municipal Planning Commission, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board or Council.

For more information contact or call 403-845-4444.