Fire Permits and Burn Notifications

From March 1 to October 31, all burning activities in Alberta’s Forest Protection Area (FPA) - excluding campfires - require a fire permit. Click here for a map of the Forest Protection Area (FPA) in Clearwater County. 

Fire permits are free and can be obtained by contacting your local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry office. 

Phone toll-free 310-0000 to locate your nearest Alberta Agriculture and Forestry office. 

What is a burn notification?

A burn notification is used to inform Clearwater Regional Fire Rescue Services (CRFRS) of a controlled burn, to prevent the unnecessary dispatching of resources. 

How do I complete a burn notification? 

You can call the burn notification line at 403-845-7711 or you can complete the burn notification form at Burn notifications are free of charge. 

What information is required in a burn notification?

  • Legal Land Description
  • Contact Name
  • Contact Number
  • Anticipated Begin and End Dates
  • Substance Being Burned
  • Forestry Permit Number (if burning within the FPA March – October)

How do burn notifications work? 

Once a burn notification is complete the information is sent to our emergency dispatching agency. This is done so that if a 9-1-1 call is received for an outside fire, CRFRS is aware that there is a controlled burn in the area and do not dispatch resources unnecessarily. 

When/where is a burn notification required? 

A burn notification is required any time of the year when a resident is planning a controlled burn within Clearwater County. 

I live in the Forest Protection Area (FPA) within Clearwater County; do I need to complete a burn notification? 

Yes. Also be advised, if you are planning a burn in the FPA between March – October you will also require a permit which is free of charge. Contact the provincial Rocky Mountain House Forest Area office at 403-845-8250 for more information. 

Will I be penalized if I do not complete a burn notification and the fire department is dispatched? 

There is no direct cost to the resident, however there can be substantial cost to Clearwater County should crews be required to respond to a controlled fire. If you are having a controlled burn and do not notify CRFRS using the methods listed above, crews may be dispatched by a passerby to your location. CRFRS responds to a wide variety of calls ranging from structure fires, motor vehicle incidents, medical calls, wildland fires, water rescues, etc. each of these calls are associated with an operating cost.