November 6, 2023: Inaugural Amalgamation Committee Meeting
(Rocky Mountain House, AB) – On November 2, 2023, the first meeting for Clearwater County & Village of Caroline Amalgamation Councils Committee of the Whole took place in Clearwater County Council Chamber. This is the first of many meetings for negotiation purposes only that are live streamed and recorded for enhanced transparency and communication. The establishment of this Amalgamation Committee comes from recently passed bylaws that enables the two municipalities to formally enter negotiations prior to making a decision whether or not to pursue amalgamation.
Public Engagement and Input
The significance of public engagement and input in this process cannot be overstated. Valuable insights from the community during the Amalgamation Study in February-March 2023 have shaped seven essential themes for Councils’ consideration, these include debt overview; efficiencies and economies of scale; governance decision vs. financial decision; self determination vs. outside determination; service mix and service levels; property taxes; and, where each municipality stands on the issue(s).
Throughout the amalgamation process, more opportunities for public engagement will be available to ensure that the voices of the residents are heard and considered.
Amalgamation Process Overview
The Amalgamation Committee will follow a well-defined process in accordance with the Municipal Government Act. This process includes essential steps, such as notifying the Minister of Municipal Affairs, negotiating mandatory items, and engaging in public consultation to draft a comprehensive report.
Negotiation Matters for Consideration
The committee will address a comprehensive list of mandatory negotiation items, as directed by Municipal Affairs, ensuring that no critical aspect of the amalgamation is overlooked. Furthermore, operational planning items will also be discussed to facilitate a comprehensive report.
With a shared vision statement and objectives to guide the project, both Clearwater County and the Village of Caroline are committed to proceeding with the amalgamation process, recognizing its benefits.
A draft timeline and key milestones for the project are in the process of being reviewed and finalized, including the date of amalgamation.
The commitment to transparency and engagement with the public remains a core value throughout this process.
Learn more: www.clearwatercounty.ca/m/amalgamation
- 30 -
Clearwater County Communications
email@example.com or 403-845-4444
- 11-06-2023 Inaugural Amalgamation Committee Meeting
- 10-25-2023 Organizational Meeting
- 09-26-2023 Broadband Network Launched
- 05-26-2023 Amalgamation Study Report Released
- 05-10-2023 Clearwater County Council sets 2023 Tax Rate
- 04-18-2023 Brazeau Collieries Historic Mine Site in Nordegg Open for Tours May Long Weekend
- 03-28-2023 QEII Platinum Jubilee Medal
- 02-16-2023 Amalgamation Study Dates Begin Feb 27
- 01-12-2023 County Broadband Network Operations Awarded
- 12-22-2022 Council adopts 2023 operating and capital budgets
- 12-20-2022 Clearwater County Residents Recognized as Exceptional Community Leaders
- 10-28-2022 Consultant Selected for Amalgamation Study
- 10-31-2022 Organizational Meeting 2022
- 09-20-2022 Leslieville Public Services Building Grand Opening on October 11
- 05-18-2022 Clearwater County welcomes back new Chief Administrative Officer
- 04-26-2022 Clearwater County sets 2022 Tax Rate holding fourth consecutive years of 0% tax increase
- 04-12-2022 Clearwater County receives third grant to extend Wildland Urban Interface program for three years
- 01-14-2022 Council Adopts 2022 Operating and Capital Budgets
- 12-15-2021 Tri Council Shared Vision
- 10-26-2021 Clearwater County Council Elects Reeve, Deputy Reeve and Board Positions
- 10-22-2021 Clearwater County Official Election Results
- 10-18-2021 Unofficial Election Results
- 09-23-2021 Municipal Election Official Nominations
- 07-19-2021 Regional Governance Study
- 05-11-2021 Clearwater County welcomes new CAO
- 04-29-2021 Clearwater County receives second grant to extend Wildland Urban Interface program for twelve months
- 04-23-2021 Clearwater County and Town of Rocky Mountain House reach ICF and Community Services Support Agreements
- 03-23-2021 Tri-Council Signs Waste Agreements
- 03-04-2021 Clearwater County Employee and Vehicle Involved in Motor Vehicle Collision on Highway 11A
- 02-09-2021 Clearwater County Celebrates Career of Long-Time Employee
- 10-27-2020 Clearwater County Council Elects Reeve, Deputy Reeve and Board Positions
- 09-30-2020 Clearwater County Statement on Aircraft Accident
- 08-10-2020 Council Voices Concern Over Potential Impacts of Assessment Model Changes on Clearwater County
- 08-06-2020 Clearwater County Reacts to Awarding of Grant for Municipal Restructuring Study
- 06-09-2020 New Leslieville Fire Station Construction to Begin This Summer
- 05-13-2020 Clearwater County Sets 2020 Tax Rates
- 03-20-2020 Clearwater County activates ECC in response to COVID-19
- 02-24-2020 Clearwater County Peace Officer, Ron McIvor Receives Alberta Emergency Services Medal for 22 Years of Service
- 02-11-2020 Clearwater County and Village of Caroline pursue Alberta Community Partnership Grant