COMING SOON: A Draft Municipal Development Plan (MDP) for public review and consultation will be posted on January 4, 2021.
The MDP review process is intended to assess the current policies and direction of the 2010 MDP
to determine what is working as intended and what may need adjustment. This includes examining if the policies still fit the desired direction of the community.
This page will be updated as the project progresses. Please check back from time to time to see:
- Updates on the project and where we are at in the process;
- Materials to review and comment on; and
- Notices about opportunities for your participation.
What is the process for the MDP review?
The five broad stages in the review process are:
What stage is the process at?
The MDP Review is moving into the fifth stage of the process – "Public Review & Adoption." The public will be given an additional chance at this stage to provide their thoughts on the draft document, which will be posted on January 4, 2021.
What is a Municipal Development Plan (MDP)?
The MDP is a collection of policies that act as an overall "blueprint” for future land use and physical changes in the County. It provides a long-term vision of the type of community that County residents and ratepayers desire. From there, policies on topics such as land use, protecting the natural environment, economic development, infrastructure, and community amenities and services provide direction on how to reach the vision.
The policies of the MDP are used by Council in assessing more detailed plans, such as area structure plans and outline plans, and Land Use Bylaw re-designations to allow development to proceed. They are used by residents to understand what types of land uses may be allowed in various parts of the County. The policies are also binding on decisions for subdivision applications.
Why is the MDP important?
The MDP guides and directs future physical growth and development. It seeks to ensure that growth is orderly, economical and beneficial while balancing the environmental, social and economic needs and desires of the community. It is visionary, strategic and long-term in its outlook and application. The MDP reflects the kind of community residents wish to see in the future (25 to 30 years from now) and then identifies ways to achieve this future.
Topics covered in the MDP include:
- Preservation of significant environmental features and impacts on the environment;
- Protecting special places and providing recreation opportunities;
- Expectations relating to rural residential development;
- The role and future of hamlets;
- Economic development and the role of various economic sectors;
- Infrastructure such as roads, railways, airports, water and wastewater systems, storm water management, modern telecommunications;
- Services to the community such as health care, education, emergency response, and protective services; and
- Relations with other communities, regions and the Province with respect to land use planning matters.
Who is leading the process?
Clearwater County Council is leading the process with assistance from Clearwater County's Planning & Development department staff and consulting firm, Parkland Community Planning Services.
How can I be involved?
Stay tuned for more information in January 2021 about a Draft MDP and how you can contribute your input to the MDP Review process.